Bruce Bernstein, now a founding counsel at the firm, was one of the founders of the firm, having joined in 1979. For more than 35 years, Bruce was one of the co-managing partners of the firm. Bruce has travelled to Asia extensively, and has spent about four years in Japan over the course of his career.
Bruce majored in Applied Physics in university, where he was blessed to have a Nobel Prize winner (Dr. Allan Cormack) as his academic advisor. Early in his career, from 1973-78, Bruce attended law school (at Georgetown University) in the evenings and worked as an Examiner at the USPTO, examining in both the electrical and mechanical arts (connectors and special receptacles).While there he was selected for two special details – one as a law clerk to a judge at the USPTO Board of Appeals, and one as a special assignment working for the assistant Commissioner of Patents, analyzing the effect of appeal conferences on appeal outcomes. After joining the firm in 1979, Bruce was involved in patent prosecution and then spent several years involved in patent litigation, both on the District Court level and before the International Trade Commission. Thereafter, Bruce became head of the G&B patent prosecution group for more than twenty five years, specializing in high level USPTO work, licensing negotiations, validity and infringement opinions and evaluations, and general IP counselling involving monetization and related business issues. He has conducted many licensing negotiations, on behalf of both licensees and licensors, and has been involved in joint development agreements, due diligence and IP evaluations.
As a result of his own business experience, Bruce brings a practical business perspective to his IP, technical and legal knowledge in order to advise clients on a variety of IP and related legal strategies. His present work is mainly involved with licensing and related IP strategy issues, and still often lectures to audiences around the world.
- Travelled to Japan well in excess of 100 times
- Frequent Lecturer to JIPA, and to LES and LESI
- Legal Advisor to companies worldwide on patent monetization and defense strategies
- 1973-1978 Examiner, US Patent and Trademark Office
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Joseph Williamowsky, USPTO Board of Appeals
- 1979-present Attorney, Greenblum & Bernstein, P.L.C.
- Board Member, Association of Patent law Firms
- Vice President and President, Association of Patent Law Firms
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ABA (IP Section)
- Japan Intellectual Property Association
- Licensing (US Chapter), 2012-2021
- Japanese (conversational)