Walter Schlapkohl joined the firm in 2007 as a Technical Advisor and attended law school in the evening. Over the years Walter advanced within the firm and became a shareholder in 2020. Walter has extensive experience advising clients in all phases of patent prosecution and supervises patent prosecution in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and chemical areas. Walter also advises clients on international portfolios, as well as FTO, infringement, and validity opinions. Before coming to G&B, Walter worked as a U.S. Patent Examiner for two years where he examined applications in the area of gene expression and cancer diagnostics.
- Supervises patent preparation and prosecution in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and chemical areas.
- Travels to Japan regularly
- Research and professional experience in cell signaling technologies.
- Professional experience with multi-national biotech/chemical patent application portfolios, stem cell technologies and applications, as well as medical diagnostic and treatment applications.
- Research Fellow – National Cancer Institute – 1999-2005
- USPTO Patent Examiner – 2005-2007 (gene expression, cancer diagnostics)
- Technical Advisor – Greenblum and Bernstein, P.L.C. – 2007-2009
- Patent Agent – Greenblum and Bernstein, P.L.C. – 2009-2011
- Patent Attorney – Greenblum and Bernstein, P.L.C. – 2011-Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Licensing Executive Society
- Pauline Newman IP American Inn of Court
- Schlapkohl W.A. Novel-type Protein Kinase C Isoform-Specific Function, Kinase Activity, and Phosphorylation Status are Disrupted by V5 Domain Mutations. UMI/Proquest Dissertation Publication, copyright 2005.
- Wang Q.J., Lu G., Schlapkohl W.A., Goerke A., Larsson C., Mischak H., Blumberg P.M., Mushinksi J.F. The V5 Domain of Protein Kinase C Plays a Critical Role in Determining the Isoform-Specific Localization, Translocation, and Biological Function of Protein Kinase C-delta and –epsilon. Molecular Cancer Research 2(2):129-40, 2004.
- Goerke A., Sakai N., Gutjahr E., Schlapkohl W.A., Mushinski J.F., Haller H., Kolch W., Saito N., Mischak H. Induction of Apoptosis by Protein Kinase C delta is Independent of its Kinase Activity. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277(35):32054-62, 2002.
- Mathur, A., Schlapkohl W.A., Di Cera E. Thrombin-fibrinogen Interaction: pH Dependence and Effects of the SlowàFast Transition. Biochemistry 32(29):7568-73, 1993.
- German (fluent)
- Spanish (conversational)