Bill Boshnick is a shareholder of Greenblum & Bernstein, PLC, located in Reston, Virginia, and has been practicing patent law for over 25 years. Bill has expertise in a wide range of technical disciplines including the electrical, mechanical, optical, telecommunications, imaging, medical and software arts. In the trademark arena, Bill previously managed the Firm’s trademark department, as well as the trademark department of his previous law firm.
In addition to complex prosecution of patent applications including patent reexaminations, petitions, appeals, and reissues, Bill also prepares infringement, freedom-to-operate, and validity opinions, and conducts patent licensing and technology transfer negotiations. Bill further has experience in trademark oppositions, IP portfolio management, due diligence investigations, and counseling on export control issues relating to U.S.-originated inventions.
Bill has an A.B. from Washington University in St. Louis, and a J.D. from the University of Miami School of Law, and is a member of the Maryland, D.C., and Florida Bars. Bill is also registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Prior to becoming an attorney, Bill lived in Tokyo, Japan for several years, where he worked at the Vision Care Company of Johnson & Johnson K.K. Bill speaks Japanese proficiently.
Bill is an active member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), as well as other global intellectual property organizations including the International Trademark Association (INTA). He has lectured both domestically and internationally on topics relating to procuring and enforcing patents and trademarks and travels to Japan approximately three times per year.
- Worked in Tokyo, Japan for several years in the contact lens division of Johnson and Johnson Medical K.K.
- Experienced with patent and export control issues relating to U.S. subsidiaries of foreign companies.
- Lectures frequently domestically and throughout the world on topics relating to procuring and enforcing patents and trademarks.
- Johnson and Johnson Medical, K.K., Vistakon division, Tokyo, Japan – 1990-1992
- Patent Attorney – Private Practice – 1996-1998
- Patent Attorney – Greenblum & Bernstein, P.L.C. – 1998-Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Licensing Executives Society
- International Trademark Association
- Japanese (conversational)